From the viewpoint of keeping the economic execution of the project in mind also, the Design & Build method gives the investor the security that after careful and considered planning, the project is completed in the shortest amount of time and in the most efficient way possible.
The planning and execution divisions work together continuously, taking into consideration each other’s opinions, deadlines and experience. Needlessly expensive structural solutions, and illogically selected materials included for their own sake do not make their way into the plans. We take into careful consideration all branches of work during the planning stage. During the entire process, the investor meets only coordinated, practice-oriented and competent technical solutions.
The importance of quality design
In addition to careful planning to keep investment costs low, a guarantee that the building will add substantial value is ensured. It is only during use that the owner can tell whether or not the building works well, and this depends on the quality of its design. Measurable positives, e.g., below average operational and maintenance costs, advantages that can’t always be measured in numbers, e.g., the improved image of the company, and increased efficiency in work and employee satisfaction resulting from the building’s functionality all add to the successful growth of the company.
Preparation for the project
Preparing for the project begins with site selection, which has a significant impact on how costs develop later on. The viewpoints listed below play an important role on whether or not the project can be completed as planned on the site purchased:
- Knowledge of zoning regulations (site coverage ratio, building height, etc…)
- Discovery of facts affecting construction, e.g., aerial cables, ground cables, main roads, forest protection distance guidelines, archeological or ground movement compromised sites, etc….
- Built-up density of the surrounding area, distance between buildings, closeness of residential area
- Topography (flat or sloping), soil quality (load bearing capacity)
- Road access, authorization of heavy goods vehicular traffic as needed
- Public utilities, utilities capacity, connection options, fire extinguishing system water capacity
The planning program and the planning process
The planning program reflects the assessed requirements of the investor recorded on a questionnaire, which serve as the basis for the design. These requirements are first compared to the conditions of the building site, local and national laws governing site coverage and buildings, as well as fire protection regulations. We base the planning program on these possibilities and finalize the design. We make recommendations in the form of a concept design plan with the building floor plan layout, structural system, and section and elevation formations. Based on the accepted concept design plan we formulate the permit plan, prepare the industry specific work sections, and following approval from the investor, submit the assembled documents to the building authority. We follow the permit application process, maintain contact with the administrators, and submit any supplementary documents.
We prepare the building plans which must be available in order to start construction. We synchronize industry specific work schedules according to the building plans, update and work out the details with the Investor. We are available during all phases of construction to solve any technical issues which may arise.
Responsibilities of the Investor
The following information is needed from the investor in order to commence planning:
- Planning program (completed questionnaire)
- Description of the technology
- Copy of land registry maps
- Information contained in the title deed
- Description and mass of materials used or stored according to type
- Plans of existing buildings, if available
- If authorized plans where prepared previously, a declaration of consent for the redesign and preparation of construction plan from the original designer.
The following information is needed from the investor for the building permit application process:
- Authorization to work with the building authority on your behalf
- Stamp or receipt for payment of fees, or document certifying bank transfer
- Document certifying transfer of special authority service fees
- Land owner’s consent, if different from the client
- Notifications from public utilities
- Notification of how many certified paper copies of the valid building permit plan documentation are requested from the Authorities